CC Header

A Brief History of the Erie County Chamber of Commerce...

The Erie County Chamber of Commerce traces its roots to the incorporation of the Sandusky Chamber of Commerce on June 29, 1899.  It’s stated purpose was for “effecting an organization to be composed of the merchants, business men and others interested in the welfare, progress and growth of the City of Sandusky”, and “for securing the location of manufacturing plants and business enterprises within the city or on lands adjacent thereto.”

In 1915, the corporation’s name was changed to “The Sandusky Federated Commercial Club”, and its purpose became “to promote the best interest and welfare of the City of Sandusky...and the territory contiguous thereto, and to hold and acquire all property real, personal and mixed, which may be necessary for the successful accomplishment of the corporate objects” (sic).

Four years later, the name was returned to the original “Sandusky Chamber of Commerce”, which was maintained until May of 1962.  At that time, the name was expanded to “Sandusky Area Chamber of Commerce”.  Then, on July 8, 1987, the name was again changed to its current “Erie County Chamber of Commerce”.

While the specific purposes of the organization have changed over the years, the basic purpose of promoting the welfare, progress and growth of the community remains.  Today’s Erie County Chamber of Commerce places strong emphasis on the provision of services, promotion of its members, and advocacy on behalf of local business.

 

Erie County Chamber of Commerce
604 W Washington St., Sandusky, OH 44870
(419) 625-6421 Fax: (419) 625-7914

 

Copyright © 2017 | All Rights Reserved.